Thursday, November 13, 2008

Week 2

Pics to be add soon.

Week 2 of my observation. I'm starting to get better at identifying things. I was able to correctly identify a Diflugia. Things that were not so great were that halteria and cyanobacteria have taken over. However my Seed shrimp are getting fat, I don't know what they eat, but I'd have a hunch that they like one of those two items. Call it the bottom of the food chain buffet. Quickly I will list all the creatures I saw.

Copepods
Difluiga
Paranema
Amoeba w/ Tenderals
Cyclops - I think that "Independance Day" and "Alien" both probably did I microaquarium observation and figured this was what they should make their invaders from space look like.

Shelled Rotifers
Planerium

Non moving things I observed were:

Rhizoids were these red tubes growing off some plants
cyanobacteria
juvenile diatoms

One of the most bizarre things I've seen in a long time was the midge I saw from last week being scavenged by a lot of Halteria. Life is starting to grow, hopefully next week has even more stuff to talk about.

Citations:

Paranema - Patterson DJ. 1996. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Color Guide. New York (NY): Wiley. pg. 51.

Planerium - Olsen LH, Pedersen J, Pedersen BV. 2001. Small Freshwater Creatures. New York (NY): Oxford. pg. 160.

Cyclops - Olsen LH, Pedersen J, Pedersen BV. 2001. Small Freshwater Creatures. New York (NY): Oxford. pg. 137.

Diflugia - Fernando CH. 2002. Tropical Freshwater Zooplanketon. Leiden (Netherlands): Backhuys Publishers. pg.249.

Arcell - Fernando CH. 2002. Tropical Freshwater Zooplanketon. Leiden (Netherlands): Backhuys Publishers. pg.249.

Dr. McFarland told me about the cyanobacteria, rhizoids, and also told me to mention that there was an "amoeba w/ tenderals present"

No comments: