Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Week 4

Week looked much less alive than I originally expected.

Things that were NOT there that originally were.

The halteria are gone. I didn't see a single one. Crazy

I can't find my planerium. I think he's gone too.

Cyclops has perished.

No Midge to be seen.


Things that are new.

Anisonema.

Returning Cast:

Gastrotich
Seed Shrimp
Paranema
Nematode - They seemed like the kings of the soil. I thought about including them in the next list, but they didn't quite make the cut.

The great crusaders: (These creatures/organisms have taken my aquarium hostage)

Rotifers - They were feasting particularly on the sides of the aquarium. They were on all levels. They were also present throughout the center, but there were probably 4 or 5 of them on each side of the aquarium.
Diatoms -
Cyanobacteria
Ameobas - tons and tons of these guys. I dunno what happened. I couldn't find many for the first three weeks and then they are all over the place. All of them had tenderals. I couldn't find my arcella and only saw two diflugia.


Dec. 12 2012 arrived early at my aquarium. I returned later the same day to finish my observation and was placing the slide on the microscope when.......BAM! I dropped my slide off of the microscope and it his the counter. The caused a big crack through the center of the slide. ALOT of water came out. When I returned. The only guys left were.

Rotifers
Nematodes
Diatoms
Cyanobacteria

I was very perplexed as to why the ameobas were suddenly gone. My theory is that they must have fallen from the glass. I have no idea if this would happen though. Dr. McFarland chuckled when I asked him where everything went. He told me that the above creatures were the first ones to appear and would more than likely be the last to leave.

Citations:

Nothing new except for the anisonema. I was stupid and forgot to write down the name of the page on the last day of observation. They are in there though.

Patterson DJ. 1996. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa: A Color Guide. New York (NY): Wiley.

No comments: